"Medad" Books Supply and Acquisition
Medad is an online book acquisition service that assists libraries with the acquisition of Arabic books. While English books are generally acquired in an automated fashion year-round, or are supplied directly by publishers or book suppliers, the process of acquiring Arabic books is characterized by being seasonal, as it is mostly restricted to book fairs. Consequently, the acquisition operation is intermittent, with only a limited period of time available for the selection of books. Furthermore, some potential acquirers may not be able to be present and to participate. Because of the rushed nature of the acquisition process, inaccuracies of pricing and delivery are common. The lack of an automated system for acquisition of Arabic books further hinders the ability of libraries to meet their requirements online, to track the status of shipments, or to integrate new acquisitions into the library’s bibliographic records.
After undertaking an in-depth study of the needs and requirements of Arab libraries and of publishers in the Arab region, Naseej has developed an integrated system for acquiring Arabic media which combines the technical aspects of building a collection of works in Arabic with the logistical requirements for introducing acquisition services and following them up accurately. Naseej’s system will offer libraries a continuous book acquisition process throughout the year that will allow all interested staff, heads of departments and librarians to participate in the acquisition process. In this way, there will be a significant increase in the acquisition of Arabic books, in addition to improved performance in the way that library documents are readied for shelving and catalogued in the bibliographic library database.
Medad service has the following benefits for libraries:
* The latest publications can be acquired as soon as they are published.
* A range of selection lists is available according to category or subject.
* The provision and follow-up processes are performed electronically.
* The service is designed to harmonize with the library’s manual systems.
* Standard bibliographic records can be obtained instantly from the Arab Union catalog.
* The benefits of Shelf-Ready Services are maximized.
* The service is integrated with Symphony and Library Management Systems.
* Each library’s system is customized separately.